Thursday, February 16, 2012

ESPN Women: A Site I've Never Seen Before


I was poking around ESPN.com yesterday looking for RSS feeds I might have missed when I found an ESPN sub-website dedicated to women in sports.  The tag that pops up when you hover over the tab for the site says “espnW: Online Destination for Female Sports Fans and Athletes.”

A Screen Shot of Today's Version of the ESPN Women Home Page


As you can see from the screen shot above, there are six major categories of news listed near the top of the screen: College Sports, Women’s Basketball, Olympics, More Sports, Commentary, and Athlete’s Life.  I looked over these categories somewhat briefly, and though I don’t think any of them are dedicated exclusively to women’s sports, the coverage of women’s athletics on these pages does seem pretty substantial.


It also looks like at least some of the content that isn't about women's sports is commentary about sports by women.  
           
As for the news itself, there are at least two stories in the six categories that I’d like to check out: a seemingly friendly family feud between Brett and Danielle Lowrie, and a story about an athlete named Kathryn Bertine that looks to be a classic inspirational tale.
           
I read a quick story about Hope Solo signing with the women's Seattle Sounders too.  I didn’t know there was a women’s Seattle Sounders squad.  It also turns out there is an entire women’s soccer league called the “W-League” that is comprised of 27 teams including Seattle (that’s what it says in the article I read).  I’d definitely like to know the names of the other teams in that league!
           
As a sports fan, I’m happy that I just discovered a new galaxy of ESPN sports coverage.  At some point, I’d like to take some time to see what else I can find on ESPN.com.  Go sports!

No comments:

Post a Comment